At the Institute since October, 1980
Ph.D., Social Psychology, University of Kansas, 1980
Overall responsibility for planning the Institute’s computing infrastructure.
- Integration of research process, data, and metadata.
- Use of the World Wide Web for dynamic information delivery and visualization.
- DDI Moving Forward Sprint, Schloss Dagstuhl event 16433, DDI Moving Forward: Improvement and Refinement of Selected Areas. Wadern Germany, October 23–28, 2016 http://www.dagstuhl.de/en/program/calendar/evhp/?semnr=15433
- DDI Moving Forward Sprint, Schloss Dagstuhl event 16423, DDI Moving Forward: Facilitating Interoperability and Collaboration with Other Metadata Standards. Wadern Germany, October 16–21, 2016 http://www.dagstuhl.de/en/program/calendar/evhp/?semnr=16423
- DDI4 Technical Committee, Modeling Team, Simple Codebook Team, Simple Data Description Team, Enhanced Citation Group, Qualitative Team (chair) 2015, 2016, 2017
DDI Moving Forward Sprint, Minneapolis, MN. May 25-29, 2015
- DDI Moving Forward Sprint, Schloss Dagstuhl event 15433, Wadern Germany, October 18–23, 2015 http://www.dagstuhl.de/en/program/calendar/evhp/?semnr=15433
- DDI Moving Forward Sprint March 24-28 2014, Vancouver, B.C. Canada.
- DDI Moving Forward 2 day sprint Paris France, Réseau Quetelet, Paris, France Dec. 5 and 6, 2013.
- Visiting scholar, GESIS, Mannheim and Cologne Nov 4-15, 2013.
- DDI Lifecycle: Moving Forward 2,” GESIS Workshop at the Leibniz Center for Informatics, Schloss Dagstuhl, Wadern, Germany October 27-Nov 1, 2013
- DDI Moving Forward one day sprint, University of Kansas April 1, 2013.
- IMLS grant: KU/GPN/GWLA National Leadership Planning Grant “Planning for the Lifecycle Management and Long-Term Preservation of Research Data: A Federated Approach.(December 2012-) Research Team B - Cyber–infrastructure: Participant in survey development regarding cyber-infrastructure for data at member institutions.
- DDI Lifecycle: Moving Forward,” GESIS Workshop at the Leibniz Center for Informatics, Schloss Dagstuhl, Wadern, Germany October 22-26, 2012 http://www.dagstuhl.de/en/program/calendar/evhp/?semnr=12432
- DDI: Managing Metadata for Longitudinal Data — Best Practices GESIS Workshop at the Leibniz Center for Informatics, Schloss Dagstuhl, Wadern, Germany (September 2011) http://www.dagstuhl.de/en/program/calendar/evhp/?semnr=11382
- The Data Documentation Initiative (DDI) Standard : Managing Metadata for Longitudinal Data — Best Practices GESIS Workshop at the Leibniz Center for Informatics, Schloss Dagstuhl, Wadern, Germany (October 2010) http://www.dagstuhl.de/en/program/calendar/evhp/?semnr=10422
- DDI Qualitative Data Working Group (co-architect)(January 2010-)
- The Data Documentation Initiative [DDI] XML Standard : Workshop on Implementation of DDI3 - Advanced Topics. GESIS Workshop at the Leibniz Center for Informatics, Schloss Dagstuhl, Wadern, Germany (November 2009) http://www.dagstuhl.de/en/program/calendar/evhp/?semnr=09452
- Co-Chair IASSIST 2017 local arrangements committee http://www.iassist2017.org/ .
- Hoyle, Larry and Mary Vardigan Collaborative Research: Comprehensive Citation Across the Data Life Cycle Using DDI. NSF Workshop on Data and Software Citation, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA June 6-7, 2016
- Hoyle, Larry The Evolution of DDI, Concepts and Technology Closing keynote presentation at the North American Data Documentation Initiative 2016 Conference (NADDI 2016), Edmonton, Alberta CA, April 8, 2016 http://hdl.handle.net/1808/20682.
- Hoyle, Larry Qualitative Data in DDI Views (DDI4). Contributed presentation at the North American Data Documentation Initiative 2016 Conference (NADDI 2016), Edmonton, Alberta CA, April 7, 2016 http://hdl.handle.net/1808/20681.
- Hoyle, Larry, Joachim Wackerow DDI as a Common Format for Export and Import for Statistical Packages IASSIST Quarterly, Vol. 39_3-4 pp. 12 – 22 http://iassistdata.org/sites/default/files/vol39_3_hoyle.pdf.
Hoyle, Larry, Mary Vardigan, Jay Greenfield, Sam Hume, Sanda Ionescu, Jeremy Iverson, John Kunze, Barry Radler, Wendy Thomas, Stuart Weibel, Michael Witt DDI and Enhanced
Data Citation IASSIST Quarterly, Vol. 39_3-4 pp. 30 - 46 http://iassistdata.org/sites/default/files/vol39_3-4_hoyle2.pdf.
- Hoyle, Larry Final Report for NSF Award 1448107 August 2015 http://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward?AWD_ID=1448107
- Hoyle, Larry Managing Extended Attributes With a SAS® Enterprise Guide Add-In SAS Global Forum 2015, Dallas Texas, April 2015
- Hoyle, Larry and Mary Vardigan Supporting Extended Citations in DDI4 North American DDI Users Conference. University of Wisconsin, Madison, April 2015
- Hoyle, Larry, Mary Vardigan, Jay Greenfield, Sam Hume, Sanda Ionescu, Jeremy Iverson, John Kunze, Barry Radler, Wendy Thomas, Stuart Weibel, Michael Witt Collaborative Research: Comprehensive Citation Across the Data Life Cycle Using DDI poster presented at the NSF 2015 Software Infrastructure for Sustained Innovation (SI2) Principal Investigators Workshop: Arlington, Va., February 17 - 18 2015
- Hoyle, Larry A Prototype Tool for Collecting Metadata During the Research Workflow Annual Meeting 2014 of the Great Plains Network and the Greater Western Library Alliance, Kansas City, May 28, 2014.
- Hoyle, Larry A DDI3.2 Style for Data and Metadata Extracted from SAS North American Data Documentation Initiative Conference NADDI2014, Vancouver B.C., Canada, April 2014 http://www.rdl.sfu.ca/NADDI/abstracts/?c=presentations#B9
- Hoyle, Larry Alternatives for Representing Coding of Qualitative Data North American Data Documentation Initiative Conference NADDI2014, Vancouver B.C., Canada, April 2014 http://www.rdl.sfu.ca/NADDI/abstracts/?c=presentations#B11
- Hoyle, Larry Using Extended Attributes in Data Analysis Software- Controlled Vocabularies, Tools and DDI. Proceedings of the 5th Annual DDI Users Conference (EDDI13) December 2013, Paris, France
- Hoyle, Larry and the DDI Qualitative Data Working Group: Louise Corti (Chair), Arofan Gregory (Convenor), Agustina Martinez (Co-Architect), Joachim Wackerow (Technical Implementation Committee representative), Eirik Alvar, Noemi Betancort Cabrera, Damien Gallagher, Tobias Gebel, Jani Hautamaki, Arja Kuula, Steve McEachern, Cornelia Zuell A Qualitative Data Model for DDI. DDI Working Paper Series July 2013 http://dx.doi.org/10.3886/DDIWorkingPaper05
- Hoyle, Larry Metadata for Lifecycle Management of Data, DDI. (invited) Great Plains Network Annual Meeting – Big Data: From Bits & Bytes to Knowledge and Insights. Kansas City, MO, May 2013
- Hoyle, Larry Reading an Excel Spreadsheet with Cells Containing Line Endings SAS Global Forum, San Francisco, CA, April 2013
- Hoyle, Larry and Ada Van Roekel REDCap and DDI Exporting Data and Metadata with the API presentation at the North American Data Documentation Initiative User Conference, Lawrence, Kansas, April 3, 2013
- Chair, first North American Data Documentation Initiative Conference (NADDI 2013)
- Hoyle, Larry REDCap and DDI presentation at the European Data Documentation Initiative User Conference, Bergen Norway, November 2012
- Barkow, Ingo, Block, William, Greenfield, Jay, Gregory, Arofan, Hebing, Marcel, Hoyle, Larry, & Zenk-Möltgen, Wolfgang. (2012). Generic Longitudinal Business Process Model. In Mary Vardigan & Larry Hoyle (Eds.), DDI Working Paper Series – Longitudinal Best Practice II: Data Documentation Initiative Alliance. (doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.3886/DDILongitudinal2-01).
- Hoyle, Larry and Joachim Wackerow. DDI as a Common Format for Export and Import from Statistical Packages European Data Documentation Initiative Conference, Gothenburg Sweden, December 2011. http://www.ipsr.ku.edu/ksdata/DDI/DDI_as_aCommonFormatForTransport_2011_12_01.pptx
- Gu, Fei; William P. Skorupski, Larry Hoyle, and Neal M. Kingston Standard Errors and Confidence Intervals From Bootstrapping for Ramsay-Curve Item Response Theory Model Item Parameters. Applied Psychological Measurement, Volume 35 Issue 7 October 2011 pp. 568 – 571 DOI: 10.1177/0146621611414405 http://apm.sagepub.com/content/35/7/562
- Hoyle, Larry. SAS® and Code Lists from Genericode. Midwest SAS User Group Conference paper AD07, Kansas City, KS, September 2011 http://www.mwsug.org/proceedings/2011/appdev/MWSUG-2011-AD07.pdf
- Hoyle, Larry and Joachim Wackerow DDI and the Lifecycle of Longitudinal Surveys. European Survey research Association Conference, Lausanne, Switzerland July 2011. Abstract at: http://surveymethodology.eu/conferences/lausanne-2011/presentation/234/
- Hoyle, Larry, Castillo, Fortunato, Benjamin Clark, Neeraj Kumar Kashyap, Denise Perpich, Joachim Wackerow, and Knut Wenzig. "Metadata for the Longitudinal Data Life Cycle." DDI Working Paper Series, Longitudinal Data Best Practices, Number 3, December 2010. http://dx.doi.org/10.3886/DDILongitudinal03
- Ionescu, Sanda with Larry Hoyle, Mari Kleemola, Martin Mechtel, Olof Olsson, and Wendy Thomas USING DDI 3 FOR COMPARISON. DDI Working Paper Series, Schloss Dagstuhl, Germany, 2010. http://dx.doi.org/10.3886/DDIUseCases03
- Hoyle, Larry and Joachim Wackerow with Oliver Hopt DDI 3: Extracting Metadata from the Data Analysis Workflow. DDI Working Paper Series, Schloss Dagstuhl, Germany, 2010. http://dx.doi.org/10.3886/DDIUseCases04
- Hoyle, Larry Using XML Mapper and Enterprise Guide to Read Data and Metadata from an XML File SAS Global Forum invited paper 030- 2010, Seattle, WA, 2010 http://www.ipsr.ku.edu/ksdata/sashttp/SGF2010/
- Hoyle, Larry Visualizing Two Social Networks Across Time with SAS®: Collaborators on a Research Grant vs. Those Posting on SAS-L. SAS Global Forum 2009 paper 229-2009, Washington D.C., 2009 (http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings09/229-2009.pdf)
- Hoyle, Larry Implementing Stack and Queue Data Structures with SAS® Hash Objects. SAS Global Forum paper 084-2009, Washington D.C., 2009 (http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings09/084-2009.pdf)
- Wackerow, Joachim; Hoyle, Larry Exporting SAS Datasets to DDI 3 XML files posters presented at the IAssist 2008 conference, Stanford, CA, May 2008. (http://www.ipsr.ku.edu/ksdata/sashttp/SGF2008/)
- Hoyle, Larry; Wackerow, Joachim Exporting SAS Datasets to DDI 3 XML Files - Data, Metadata, and More Metadata, Paper 137-2008, SAS Global Forum 2008, San Antonio, Texas, March 2008. (http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/forum2008/137-2008.pdf)
- DeVenezia, Richard A.; Gerlach, John R.; Hoyle, Larry; Katz, Talbot M.; Langston, Rick SAS® And Sudoku, Invited Paper 011-2007, SAS Global Forum, Orlando Florida, 2007. (http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/forum2007/011-2007.pdf)
- Honorable Mention at the 31st Annual SAS User\'s Group International (SUGI; 2006) Conference for his paper titled, "Reading Microsoft Word XML files with SAS".
- USD 497 Friend of Education Award, 1995
- First Prize, Business Division, Zenith Masters of Innovation Competition, 1991
- Pewewardy, Hoyle, & Kim, "Children's Client Status Report, CMHC's Reports, July, August, September (FY99 Q1)" for The Office of Social Policy Analysis, Ronna Chamberlain, Director, February, 1999.
- Hoyle, Lawrence E. SAS Software and the WWW - What Next? Invited paper for the SAS User Group International Conference (SUGI 21), Chicago, March 1996.
- Hoyle, Lawrence E. More on Using SAS with WWW presented at the 1995 MidWest SAS Users Group Conference, Cleveland, October, 1995. (Awarded best poster).
- The Pentium FDIV bug - a Picture, November 1994.
- Hoyle, Lawrence E. Connecting SAS to the World Wide Web - Forms Across the Internet, presented at the 1994 MidWest SAS Users Group Conference, Omaha, September, 1994.
- Hoyle, Lawrence E. Connecting SAS to the World Wide Web - Forms Across the Internet - A Live Demonstration, presented at the Kansas City Area SAS Users Group Meeting, Kansas City, July 1994.
- Hoyle, Lawrence E. Modifying a PostScript Printer Definition to Produce a Negative Image for Typesetting, presented at the 1992 MidWest SAS Users Group Conference, Kansas City, October 1992.
- Hoyle, Lawrence E. Generating Thematic Maps with Proportional Shading and Graphical Annotation, presented at the 1991 MidWest SAS Users Group Conference, Chicago, Illinois, September, 1991.
TeachingManaging Research Data for the Social Sciences
This 2 to 3 credit hour graduate level course, taught in the summer, is designed to teach the skills necessary to read, reorganize, transform, clean, archive, and export simple or complex data. The primary tool used in the class is the SAS system. Structured Query Language (SQL) in both SAS and Microsoft Access receives a strong emphasis. The course emphasizes structured documentation of data, with the Data Documentation Initiative standard (DDI) being the prime example.SAS Enterprise Guide: Point and Click with SAS
This hands-on workshop is an introduction to Enterprise Guide, a Microsoft Windows program from SAS Institute that makes much of the functionality of the SAS system accessible through a graphical user interface. Offered through the KU Information Services Workshops.Text Mining with SAS
This hands-on workshop is an introduction to SAS Enterprise Miner and Text Miner, offered peroidically and by request.