About IPSR


Introduction

The Institute for Policy & Social Research was established in 2000 as the Policy Research Institute. PRI became IPSR in August, 2006. IPSR brings together social scientists from a broad range of disciplines to pursue and conduct sponsored research at the international, national, regional, state, and local levels. IPSR affiliated faculty represent disciplines such as economics, education, environmental studies, geography, political science, public administration, social welfare, sociology, and urban planning.

IPSR has seven research centers: the Center for Military, War, and Society Studies, the Center for Migration Research, the Center for Science, Technology, and Economic Policy, the Center for Environmental Policy, the Center for the Study of Injustice, the Center for Indigenous Research, Science, and Technology, and the Surveillance Studies Research Center. In addition, the Institute currently has one workgroup, Population Research (KU Pop). The research centers and workgroup(s) foster collaborative projects among faculty with similar research interests.

IPSR’s grant development staff assists researchers with all stages of proposal development, beginning with identifying potential funding sources, developing and refining the proposal, preparing the budget, and finalizing the proposal for submission. Once awarded, IPSR assists with award administration. IPSR research is funded by the federal government, private foundations, corporations, and state and local governments.

Other IPSR research services include computing and data services, publications, and conference and workshop planning.

View IPSR Organizational Chart (PDF)

History of IPSR

The Institute has a long history tracing back to the 1910 creation of the Municipal Reference Bureau. The Municipal Reference Bureau was operated under the University's Extension Division as a service for city officials desiring information on municipal problems.

In 1925, the Bureau was moved to the main library of the University under the direction of the Extension Department and the Political Science Department (established in 1920 - read their history here). At this time the name was changed to the Bureau of Governmental Research and Service. In 1928, the Political Science Department was given full charge.

The Bureau was reorganized as an independent agency of the University in September 1945, placed under the supervision of a director, and its scope of research and publications enlarged to cover the entire field of government - local, state, national, and international. At this time, the name changed to Bureau of Government Research.1

In December 1952, the Bureau became the Government Research Center.2 By 1966, when the first edition of the Kansas Statistical Abstract was published, the Center was known as the Center for Regional Studies. In 1971, the Center was reformed as the Institute for Social and Environmental Studies (ISES), renamed the Center for Public Affairs in 1979, and renamed again around 1984 as the Institute for Public Policy and Business Research (IPPBR). It was during this time that the well-known "Redwood-Krider" report was published. This report laid out recommendations for the future of economic development in Kansas. These recommendations shaped the state's efforts for the next two decades.

The Institute for Policy & Social Research was established in 2000 as the Policy Research Institute under the direction of Steven Maynard-Moody. PRI became IPSR in 2006. The name change signified an expanded mission serving the KU social sciences. IPSR brings together social scientists from a broad range of disciplines to pursue and conduct sponsored research at the international, national, regional, state, and local levels. IPSR affiliated faculty represent disciplines such as economics, education, environmental studies, geography, political science, public administration, social welfare, sociology, and urban planning.

Notes:

1 Governmental Agencies of the State of Kansas, 1961-1946, Bessie E. Wilder, Bureau of Government Research, University of Kansas, 1946.

2 Governmental Agencies of the State of Kansas, 1961-1956, Bessie E. Wilder, Government Research Center, University of Kansas, 1957.