IPSR Graduate Working Group on Qualitative ResearchThe Institute for Policy & Social Research is again hosting a working group for advanced graduate students who have a major qualitative component to their dissertation research. Students in the working group should be at some point in their Ph.D. dissertation: from writing their proposal to completing their dissertation.
We are planning to meet from 3:00-4:30 on two Fridays in the fall and two Fridays in the spring. Please note, the remaining events for the Spring 2020 semester have ben canceled due to public health concerns. For more information, please visit https://coronavirus.ku.edu/.
- Friday, February 21, 3:00-4:30 - A presentation by Dr. Jay Johnson (Geography & Atmospheric Science).
- Friday, April 3, 3:00-4:30 - A panel on international research ethics. This event has been canceled.
The working group is open admission. Student should email Hannah Britton at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more information about the group and receive important event updates.
Some of the topics we have covered in the past include:
- Writing proposals and seeking funding
- Getting ready for the field
- Unpacking your suitcase and your data: I finished my fieldwork, now what?
- Data management
- Analyzing qualitative material
- Writing qualitative texts
- Getting published
- Presenting your work at conferences and job talks
- Understanding new forms of data, including the digital humanities and big data