IPSR Graduate Working Group on Qualitative ResearchThe Institute for Policy & Social Research is again hosting a working group for advanced graduate students who have a major qualitative component to their dissertation research. Students in the working group should be at some point in their Ph.D. dissertation: from writing their proposal to completing their dissertation.
We are planning to meet from 3:00-4:30 on two Thursdays in the fall and two Fridays in the spring. During the Spring 2021 semester, both events will focus on Participatory Action Research! These presentations will be held via Zoom on the following dates:
- Thursday, April 15, 3:00-4:30 - Dr. Vicki Collie-Akers
- Thursday, April 22, 3:00-4:30 - Dr. Crystal Lumpkins
Each session will be led by a member of the KU community with expertise on a particular qualitative research method or topic. Each session will include time for open discussion of other issues relevant to the group members at that time.
The working group is open admission. Student should email Hannah Britton at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more information about the group and receive important event updates.
Some of the topics we have covered in the past include:
- Writing proposals and seeking funding
- Getting ready for the field
- Unpacking your suitcase and your data: I finished my fieldwork, now what?
- Data management
- Analyzing qualitative material
- Writing qualitative texts
- Getting published
- Presenting your work at conferences and job talks
- Understanding new forms of data, including the digital humanities and big data